Everything You Need to Know About Extremely Dry Skin
Find relief from extremely dry skin - a temporary condition.
Genetics aside, it's cause by a combination of external factors that contribute to a lack of moisture in the skin cells. So what are the signs of dry skin? How can I treat it? We answer some of the most important questions below.
How can I tell if I have extreme dry skin?
Signs and symptoms of very dry skin can depend on age or existing skin conditions¹; however, one or more of these traits are likely to appear on your hands, body or legs:
• Cracks (sometimes deep enough to bleed)
• Patches that are rough to the touch
• Flaking, scaling or peeling
What causes extremely dry skin?
There are several factors to keep in mind when it comes to the cause of dry skin, so be sure take note of the following.
• Weather. It’s no surprise that the dropping temperatures and harsh winds of winter can cause your skin to be at its driest. But the very things that help keep you cozy during this time of year, like central heating, fireplaces and space heaters, suck the moisture out of the air and contribute to the cause, too.
• Hot baths and showers. If your water is feeling too hot, then it’s time to dial it down during your daily wash as it can trigger symptoms of dry skin.
• Cleansing. Certain soaps have the potential to strip moisture away from the skin, so be mindful of ingredients and choose wisely.
• Genetics. People with skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis have a predisposition to chronic dry skin.²
How can I avoid extremely dry skin?
With just a few simple changes to your daily routine, you’ll be able to avoid the some of the symptoms of dry skin.
• Moisturize. Post shower, applying the right ointments and creams will help trap water within your skin cells. Try Vaseline® Clinical Care™ Extremely Dry Skin Rescue with Barrier Repair Complex™ to lock in moisture.
• Switch up your diet. Fresh fruits contain a ton of water, and are rich in antioxidants and vitamins to boot, helping to keep your skin and body hydrated. Green leaf veggies like brussels sprouts, cabbage, and spinach can aid in fighting free radicals from the environment that can break down skin.³
• Limit time in the sun. Unprotected skin can be easily dried out by the sun’s heat, depleting it of its natural oils and leaving you with severe dry skin. UV rays can also result in burning and long-term changes.⁴ In short: slather on the sunscreen, using an SPF 30 or higher, and at least 15 minutes prior to stepping out the door.
Vaseline® Clinical Care™ Extremely Dry Skin Rescue Body Lotion delivers clinical strength moisture to transform skin from very dry to healed in just 5 days.
Vaseline® Clinical Care™ Extremely Dry Skin Rescue Overnight Cream calms dry skin overnight. Delivering moisturization to restore soft, healthy looking skin.